What personal information do we collect?
Information you provide to us
You can provide us with the following information in our stores and online:
- Personal and contact information, such as name, date of birth, email address, mobile / landline phone number, home address, age and gender
- Our Business card number
- Work and company contact information or our business accounts
- Payment information, such as credit card information and billing address
- Purchasing activity, product preferences, reasons for purchasing a product, family and lifestyle
- Information you post: If you comment or provide information in a public space on one of our websites or App we collect a log and any personal information included in the comment. For example, this may include posting a product review.
- Information you provide through social media
- Other information you provide us with when you communicate with our customer service team, when you engage with our social media platform (for example, by tagging us in a post on Instagram), when you sign up for membership, or when you interact with us in other ways.
When do we collect your personal information?
You share personal information with us in a variety of ways. For example, we receive personal information when:
- You purchase our products and services in-store, online or by phone.
- You make a return or exchange
- You make a suggestion
- You file a claim
- Access to our software applications (Inspire App)
- Use our in-store WiFi services or turn on your WiFi in-store
- Create an online account
- Participate in surveys, contests, promotions or certain discounts/coupons
- Communication or contact with our customer service team in-store, online or by phone
- You provide us with your contact information so that we can respond to your questions or concerns submitted through the "Help us improve" feature in the store.
- You apply for employment.
- You interact with us on social media (mentioning / tagging us or contacting us directly)
- You interact with our websites or software applications (apps), you visit our websites or App on a device, enable location-based features, or click on sponsored links or third-party advertisements on our websites or on other websites or software applications and online services.
- You interact with the emails we send you
- You complete a product registration form
- Request a catalog or subscribe to our email newsletter
- In-store visits: IKEA uses cameras in and around its stores for operational and security reasons. We may also retain an image of your likeness if you provide us with your image.
- You request a credit application
- You apply for membership in our membership club or IKEA family advantage club
- You sign up to receive mobile notifications about updates at your local IKEA store.
Currently, we do not track our users' personal information over time and across third-party websites. Therefore, we do not respond to browser Do Not Track signals.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information for business purposes: to make our products and services available to you; to personalize your shopping experience; to improve our operations; and for legal and safety purposes.
Some examples of how we use your personal information include:
- Online or in-store order processing and fulfillment, including providing delivery of product orders.
- Communicate with you in regards to purchases.
- Answering your questions and comments.
- Measuring customer satisfaction.
- Providing marketing materials via text or SMS messages, mail and email (with consent where required by law)
- Analyzing shopping trends through account activity and purchase history to provide you a personalized browsing experience
- To analyze shopping trends through account activity and purchase history to provide a customized browsing experience.
- Sending special promotions to IKEA members based on in-store spending or the customer's date of birth.
- Sending promotions and special offers to IKEA Family Club Advantage members or memberships.
- Creating a profile on our websites and application software (App) allows you to purchase IKEA products and services online without having to fill in your personal information each time you shop online with us.
- Ensure that our websites and software applications (Apps) are presented in the most effective and relevant way for you and your device, including setting default options for you, such as language and store location.
- Perform checks for fraud or other illegal activity
- Protecting our property or rights (or those of others)
- Comply with our legal and compliance-related obligations (e.g., if we receive a lawful request from a law enforcement agency)
- Notification of campaigns or safety warnings
- Sending transactional messages
Who do we share your personal information with?
We do not sell personal information to third parties.
In order to provide you with our products and services, we share some of your personal information with trusted third party service providers, other members of the IKEA brand corporate family or public authorities. For example:
- We use third-party service providers to assist with delivery, product assembly and installation, waste disposal, payment processing and other services. Your personal information may be stored and processed by our retailers and service providers in Puerto Rico or other locations where the service providers or IKEA have facilities.
- We may share your financial information, including your credit card, debit card or other payment information with third parties to ensure that your payment is secure and that your data is not used fraudulently
- We may disclose your personal information to our insurers when we believe it is required by law or contract.
- We may share data with other members of the IKEA brand corporate family to facilitate operations and business.
- We may share or disclose your personal information with law enforcement agencies or public authorities to prevent or detect crimes or fraudulent activities, as well as to comply with any legal or regulatory obligations.
- We may share your personal information to comply with court orders and to exercise and/or defend our legal rights.
- We may share your personal information in the event that we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets.
- We may use your personal information with your consent or as allowed or required by law.
We also disclose non-private, non-identified, aggregated or non-personal information with third parties, including social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter, and online advertising companies such as Google, to provide targeted advertising about other products and services for marketing purposes. You may choose not to receive marketing messages by using the opt-out mechanisms and links provided in each message.
How do we protect children's privacy?
We do not knowingly collect or use any personal information from children under the age of 13 on our websites or software development applications. We do not knowingly allow children to order our products, communicate with us or use any of our online services. If you are a parent and you realize that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using one of the methods specified below and we will work with you to address this issue.
How can you indicate your privacy preferences?
You can set your preferences in your online profile on our websites and software applications.
If you no longer wish to receive our marketing materials, you can unsubscribe through your profile. You can also click the unsubscribe link in our marketing emails or text messages that include the option automatically.
We want to make sure that all the information we have about our customers is accurate and up to date. If you find that the personal information we have about you is inaccurate or needs updating (for example, you may have changed your name or address), please update your profile.
If you have joined a do-not-call registry through a third party (public or private entity), you must also inform us to stop receiving marketing information from us.
How do we keep your information safe?
We take the safety of your personal information very seriously. We have implemented various strategies, controls, policies and measures to keep your information secure and we keep these measures under close review. We use encryption techniques and other safeguards such as firewalls and password protection. This means that your information is protected and can only be accessed by staff who need it to carry out their job responsibilities, or shared with third parties as described above. We implement physical controls in our buildings that restrict access to your personal information.
How long do we keep your information?
Links to Third-Party Websites and Additional conditions
Sarton Puerto Rico’s Privacy Contacts
Address: IKEA Bayamon, Santa Rosa Mall, Bayamon, 00956 PO Box 8738 Carolina, PR 00988-8738
Telephone: 787 750 4532